About Me

Hi it's Rachel (obviously), ummm about me??? I like to read... but I don't really read at all, so maybe I don't like it that much. My favorite things to do are sports. I'm not the best at Swimming and I'm even worse at Gymnastics but I've recently discovered that I like both of them. When I'm not doing Swimnastics I find myself watching bad reality TV and procrastinating my math HW. I like the idea of writing. Sometimes it can be terrible and sometimes it's nice to write stuff down. So I'm finna try out this blogging thing thanks to Miss Erin :P

Monday, April 27, 2009

Technology Friend or Foe? ((First blog about Feed))

So far reading Feed has been pretty interesting. At first it was hard to understand what they were saying because it was so futuristic but after the first couple chapters it was amazing how all of this high tech stuff became understandable and normal. Like with the language they use. There were expressions I haven't heard but like any new expression it starts to become normal after a while. "Unit" starts to become "homie" and they say like just a few more times than people today do. And I noticed that their language is just a shortened version of what we use today "oh my god" becomes "Omigod".

Something else I noticed in the book that reflects the present modern world are the lesions. At first I thought the lesions were just some kind of acne but then I found out they were more than just that. They are a side affect to using the Feed. I guess you could compare that to cell phones lowering your sperm count (sorry that's gross) but I was thinking that that maybe it could be compared to global warming. In the book the president denied that the Feeds were causing people to get lesions and that reminded me of how our president was denying that global warming was happening just to preserve our consumption of fossil fuels. I think the president in Feed was trying to preserve their consumption with the Feeds.

Okay one more topic/ theme I want to talk about is the advancement in technology they made. I sort of have mixed feeling about the advances we have made for communicating today. Things like emailing and facebook have made it easier to connect with people I normally would not get the chance to communicate with but they also can get in the way of communicating with somebody. I hate it when you are trying to talk to someone while they are texting. You're trying to have a conversations but it is hard to do that because they keep looking down at their phone. So tying that back to the book I have noticed that even while having a Feed, by being instantly connected with everyone all the time, he is still lonely. So bottom line... I think that this technology can only get you so far and what people really want most is a real connection with someone.

No comments:

Post a Comment