About Me

Hi it's Rachel (obviously), ummm about me??? I like to read... but I don't really read at all, so maybe I don't like it that much. My favorite things to do are sports. I'm not the best at Swimming and I'm even worse at Gymnastics but I've recently discovered that I like both of them. When I'm not doing Swimnastics I find myself watching bad reality TV and procrastinating my math HW. I like the idea of writing. Sometimes it can be terrible and sometimes it's nice to write stuff down. So I'm finna try out this blogging thing thanks to Miss Erin :P

Monday, May 18, 2009

Feed Final Project

Before I put together the collage of my Feed I thought about what it would be like to have one. And the first thing I thought about was the flashy pop up ads I see on the internet, because they get in the way of what I'm trying to do. So I think this helps explain consumerism in America right now and how Feeds are described in the book because they blocked the characters vision of the real world.

In the center of my collage I put a picture of the perspective of driving a car to show my vision of the real world. And all the things in front of that sight are the advertisements that would be on my Feed. There are ads for shoes, mascara, couture a laptop, many different things. These are all ads I found in something that I think is quite similar to a Feed, Seventeen magazine. I think these ads would be on my Feed because they already are. Seventeen influences people like me by giving the message that the most important thing is looking good. It's where people go to find the latest thing they should be consuming. It does actually work weather I want to admit it or not.

On the left of my poster there is a picture of Shawn Johnson advertising deodorant. That would influence me into buying it because I like gymnastics (and Shawn Johnson). But I don't know if it would matter too much weather things on my feed were marketed specifically towards me. I remember my mom and I went to the convention center and there was this guy selling these "special rubber brooms". At the time he made it seem like the best investment ever but we have not ever used them since we got them and they were just a waste of money. So honestly I don't think there really is any individuality with what I buy because I think it could be marketed to anybody and in the end we are all tricked into buying something.

The question is, are we anything without the feed? And I think the answer is yes because we aren't anyone with a Feed. In the story everyone is alike even though their Feeds market a little differently. In consumerism you lose your identity because you are brainwashed into believing something. You are all you can be without the Feed because you will think for yourself.

I think that a Feed would sort of be in a website format but in your head so above the road is a webpage like thingy with a whole bunch of different links for different products. And for those products are captions like "copy this:" "one color is not enough" "go big or go home". I put those there to show how persuasive the Feed could be. I imagine that it would tell you encouraging things like "well spent" after you bought something to keep you consuming. And in the very middle of the vision of reality I put the word feed in parenthesis. Because I think the Feed would want me to always remember to feed the only purpose in my life.

The background of my collage is of destruction. The reality of consumerism is very destructive, wasteful and ugly. I wanted to contrast that with my view of the world. With a Feed I would never really know how bad I had made it because I would be too occupied with my feeding. I don't know if this is a moral but I think the biggest message Feed shows is the destructive cycle with consumerism.

1 comment:

  1. Rachel, In response to your post on consumerism :

    Industrial Society Destroys Mind and Environment.

    Industrial Society is destroying necessary things [Animals, Trees, Air, Water and Land] for making unnecessary things [consumer goods].

    "Growth Rate" - "Economy Rate" - "GDP"

    These are figures of "Ecocide".
    These are figures of "crimes against Nature".
    These are figures of "destruction of Ecosystems".
    These are figures of "Insanity, Abnormality and Criminality".


    The link between Mind and Social / Environmental-Issues.

    The fast-paced, consumerist lifestyle of Industrial Society is causing exponential rise in psychological problems besides destroying the environment. All issues are interlinked. Our Minds cannot be peaceful when attention-spans are down to nanoseconds, microseconds and milliseconds. Our Minds cannot be peaceful if we destroy Nature [Animals, Trees, Air, Water and Land].

    Chief Seattle of the Indian Tribe had warned the destroyers of ecosystems way back in 1854 :

    Only after the last tree has been cut down,
    Only after the last river has been poisoned,
    Only after the last fish has been caught,
    Only then will you realize that you cannot eat money.


    To read the complete article please follow any of these links.

    Industrial Society Destroys Mind and Environment

    Industrial Society Destroys Mind and Environment

    Industrial Society Destroys Mind and Environment

    Industrial Society Destroys Mind and Environment

    sushil_yadav
    Delhi, India

    ReplyDelete